Many thanks to all of you who took time from your busy schedules to participate.
For those unable to attend, click here for a copy of the presentation or click here for the newest Connecticut Traveler Profile Research. State cooperative marketing opportunities, all handouts from the meetings are now posted online at ct.gov/cct.
still revolutionary Research Market Findings
The latest information from the State Office of Tourism detailing what visitors are looking for when planning a vacation in the New England area and their perception of Connecticut. see study>
Recap of Marketing Outreach Meetings
& 2015 Cooperative Opportunities
Many thanks to all of you who took time from your busy schedules to participate. For those unable to attend, we’re sorry to have missed you. A copy of the presentation, cooperative marketing opportunities, all handouts, and the newest Connecticut Traveler Profile Research are now posted online at ct.gov/cct.
2013 Visitor Intercept Study – Results Summary
The following information comes from a study that was performed to the specifications of the Connecticut Office of Tourism by Witan Intellligence, Inc . Any use of the following data must be attributed to the Eastern Regional Tourism District and Witan Intelligence, Inc.
- Over 3,600 visitors interviewed across the year with 874 interviews in Mystic Country specifically at 51 sites. That provides a range of error of .95 and a confidence level of =/-3.3%.
- Average spending of $558 per party trip. Annual trip frequency of 7.4 trips per year.
- 87% said they had been to Mystic Country before and 86% indicated a high likelihood to return.
- There is high satisfaction in Mystic Country at 78%. This compares favorably to the statewide rate of 75%.
- What are our Non Casino visitors doing:
- Beaches 58%
- Museums/Historic 34%
- Sightseeing 30%
- Shopping 28%
- Forest/Parks 26%
- Outdoor Rec 26%
- Gaming 18%
- Fine Dining 17%
- Fairs/Festivals 14%
- Amusement Parks 13%
- Many of our visitors – 23% – are staying with family or friends.
- Our visitors tend to visit the area along with our locals with 41% of all visitor parties composed of guests who reside outside the area.
- Visitors from outside of Mystic Country spend more – $820 vs the $375 our residents spend.
- An important distinction between our vacationing residents and our vacationing non resident is that while residents spend less they visit more often (10.9/yr) while non locals visit 2.9/yr.
- Considering a full year each local household spends 72% more while in the area ($4,088 vs $2,378) than non residents.
- Our visitors fall more heavily into the middle age category but younger visitors (28%) visit more frequently. Our 55+ visitors spend more heavily than the younger or middle age groups.
- One in three visiting parties include children and they spend a bit less than the average and come less often (3.1 vs 7.4).
- 56% of visitors from outside the area stay overnight in Mystic Country. Those with children in the party are more likely to stay overnight.
- Median income for visitor households is $80,100. Higher income families spend more but come less often.
How do we compare to Connecticut as a whole and what is the difference between Mystic Country Visitors who don’t visit the Casinos and those that do?
- Age – We compare favorably to the statewide age of visitors (46.3 vs 45.0) but visitors age for non casino is a bit younger at 40.1
- Generally our visitors bring children with them more often than visitors in the rest of the state except when a casino is included in the visit.
- Almost half of our visiting parties include a mature adult but only one third of those not visiting a casino include a mature adult.
- The ethnic distribution of our visitors compares with the rest of the state except that Mystic Country sees a higher percentage of Hispanic/Latino visitors.
- Median household income levels of visitors to Mystic Country is about 6.2% lower than visitors to Connecticut as a whole.
- Three quarters of visitors have a household income of less than $100,000.
- More visitors spend overnight than the rest of the state (42%vs 34%)
- Average number of overnights statewide is 3.6. Mystic Country average is 2.6 nights with casino and 4.6 without casinos.
- % of parties with kids – Statewide 41%, Mystic Country 33%, Mystic Country without casinos 50%.
- Likely to return – Statewide 76%, Mystic Country 86%, Mystic Country without Casinos 91%.
- Total spending – Statewide $703, Mystic Country $558, Mystic Country without casinos $374.
- Wager spending – Statewide $140, Mystic Country $185, Mystic Country without casinos $12.